Spring is the season for cleaning, sorting and tidying up around the house. But having a truly clean house means going beyond the surface clutter. It means closing out the unfinished paperwork, crossing items off the to-do list, making the hard decisions and setting priorities. Not surprisingly, many of those tasks involve personal finance. Below are seven tips to help spring your finances into the best they can be!
Here are the seven tips for eliminating financial clutter:
- Review your budget. A lot can change in a year. If you’ve been promoted, had a child, or become a new homeowner or renter, be sure to update your budget. Determine what expenses demand the most money and identify areas where you can realistically cut back. Develop a strategy for spending and saving – and stick to it.
- Evaluate and pay down debt. Take a look at how much you owe and what you are paying in interest. Begin paying off existing debt, whether that’s by chipping away at loans with the highest interest rates or eliminating smaller debt first.
- Set up automatic bill pay. By paying recurring bills automatically on the same day each month, you’ll never have to worry about a missed payment impacting your credit score. Plan out your automatic payments to ensure your checking account has an adequate amount of funds when the payments are scheduled to be withdrawn.
- Save for emergencies. About 40 percent of Americans are positioned to cover a $400 emergency expense. You can prepare by opening or adding to a savings account that serves as an “emergency fund.” Ideally, it should hold about three to six months of living expenses in case of sudden financial hardships like losing your job or having to replace your car.
- Go digital. Converting to paperless billing will help keep your house—physical and financial—more clean and organized, and will help protect you from fraud. Utilize your bank’s mobile app to check your balance, pay your bills, transfer funds, deposit a check and send money to friends from wherever you are.
- Check your credit report. Every year, you are guaranteed one free credit report from each of the three credit bureaus. Take advantage of these free reports and check them for any possible errors. Mistakes can drag down your score and prevent you from getting a loan, or cause you to pay a higher than necessary interest rate.
- Download our mobile app. Liberty's mobile app allows you to manage your finances from the palm of your hand. With a click of a button, you can access your accounts balances, view transaction history, and even pay bills. Take control of your finances and do everything on your schedule. Learn More
Information provided by the American Bankers Association.